The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Did you make a new years resolution?

new year resolution

12 replies to this topic

#11 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

The anti-smoking laws in my country are very strict, it is basically illegal to smoke anywhere in public. One of the problems is that they (the Government) rushed the laws through without proper consideration. So, almost overnight, smokers were banned from just about everywhere with no mandatory provisions being made at all for designated smoking areas.

As an example: my lovely wife and I recently visited the Brisbane Tennis Center to watch some of the top tennis being played. The complex is massive, encompassing around 5 acres of land, 90% of which is outdoors. Smoking is banned throughout and there is no separate smoking area at all. Although I do entirely agree with the most of the non-smoking legislation, I believe it has been implemented (here anyway) without much forethought nor regard for people who remain in the grip of the habit.

Smoking is illegal but cigarettes are not. If the Government was fair dinkum about the whole thing they would have just banned tobacco products altogether - but they would never do that because they would then lose all that lovely revenue generated by tobacco sales, compliments of the massively excessive tax.

(okay, after that rant - I think I'd better light up a ciggy and relax ;) )

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#12 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,415 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

I had this argument on a police forum (of all places!) when proposals to ban people smoking in their cars was being spoken about. As is always the case, the principal behind the idea was good (i.e. to stop people smoking in their cars when children were present) but it rarely works out that way and almost becomes impossible to police it - but when I explained the government wouldn't dare ban tobacco because of the revenue raised from it, I was told I was talking bull because the bill to our NHS service far outweighed the revenue raised from tobacco. I then decided to do a little homework of my own and discovered that in 2008 it cost the NHS nearly 2.7 billion UK pounds and in 2009 this increased to nearly 5 billion!!. However, the revenue raised from tobacco in 2009/2010 was something like 10 billion and in 2010/2011 revenue was 11.1 billion. So if we banned tobacco here in the UK the government would be around 5 billion a year worse off - who would make up that shortfall?, us taxpayers of course!!

#13 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 265 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:18 AM

Man!!!!!!! You guys sure you're not in America????Ordinary folks use to run for government to help make things better. Now you have to be a well-trained crook,,er,er,er,Politician just to think about it. Don't you guys know that unless you are "RICH" and never had a care in the world and sleeps in a bed stuffed with money,,that makes you "QUALIFIED" to "KNOW" how poor and average people live,and what they need and how much they suffer???? Their favorite commandment is: "Do unto others then,,leave" !!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users