←  Say Hello!

FBB

»

bonjour tous le monde

marko's Photo marko 19 Jan 2012
Florida? COLD? You gotta be kidding right? What is "cold" to you guys in Florida exactly? (if it's anything over freezing, I'd say don't come to Scotland) :)

tremendito's Photo tremendito 19 Jan 2012

View Postmarko, on 19 January 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Florida? COLD? You gotta be kidding right? What is "cold" to you guys in Florida exactly? (if it's anything over freezing, I'd say don't come to Scotland) :)

Remember, am not Floridian, Am from Puerto Rico, Territory of the US of A, in the caribeean. And what we call cold in Puerto Rico is in the mountains wherer it can go down to 60F. I have been in 10 degree weather here, Does not bother me, however, am starting to feel it. and it would be couple of days max.

Just look forward to the summer - I know we are, although we dare not blink in case we miss it :)

View Postmarko, on 19 January 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Just look forward to the summer - I know we are, although we dare not blink in case we miss it :)

Not me, I would rather be cold than hot!!
let me abuse your courtesy. I have a spare computer. I want to convert it to a server. Am looking for an easy to use software, that I can acces that computer from the outside, from my parent's home, from my Android, bla bla bla. What can you suggest me? Cheap like free since I do not have much money to spare. I live on SS righrt now, AKA am retired. Can you help me? Thanks!!!

Claw's Photo Claw 19 Jan 2012
Wifes family: Spanish,,my family: Italian,,I speak : English. I lived in Louisiana,,now I live in Mississippi (USA),and they tell me "I" have an accent,,I'm city their country. It dosen't matter what you speak cause everybody says I don't pay attention when people talk to me anyway!!!!LOL :rofl:

Thanks, I will check it out.
They tell you U have accent? Really! Wonder what they say about mine! Married to Gringa, Family from puerto Rico, Descendants of Italians and Spaniards! Wonder what they said about THEIR accents!!!
Anyway, I do not pay attention either!!! Actually, I try to act stupid, and then surprise them. Works all the time!

View Posttremendito, on 19 January 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

I have a spare computer. I want to convert it to a server. Am looking for an easy to use software, that I can acces that computer from the outside, from my parent's home, from my Android, bla bla bla. What can you suggest me?
It really depends on what you want to access and how you want to access it ... if you can give us more details I'm sure we'll have a solution somewhere on the site :)

tremendito's Photo tremendito 20 Jan 2012

View Posttremendito, on 19 January 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

And I am from Puerto Rico, living in the State of Florida, bloody Cold too! REmemberr we are used to 90 degrees F year round and around 90 percernt humidity!.
I got used to it fast, but my old bones are starting to feel it.
Cool to be able to share, hope it is not the last time.

I deleted your last email, to the question what i want to do, I want to be able to make a personal server, to enter all the pictures and videos I have. Be able to access it from my father's computer (he is 93!) from Orlando, My other brothers and sister in ORlando and Illinois.
Nothing major, and free software. The computer is about 3 years old, Everex, 500g memory, 102G hd, and standard VGA. has a DvD unit on it, and that's it. I have 2 other computers that I normaly use, an Acer laptop and an Emachine Desktop. Please, by all means, let me know what other infor you would need to help me. And I have a Belkin Wireless. I have Brighthouse Cable as provider of services. Can't think what else you should need as to additional information.
BTW My name is Gilberto, u can call me Gil...

marko's Photo marko 20 Jan 2012
Hey Gil, after having a bit of a search around our site I couldn't really find anything that I thought would give particularly easy access to your files, etc other than an FTP server - but that can be a little cumbersome to connect to and probably wouldn't offer ease of connection so I had a little dig around Google and found a program called FreeNAS which comes in "ISO" format so it has to burned straight to a CD as an image but from what I can see it would provide you with all the bells and whistles you would need and can be controlled and configured through a web interface relatively easy by the looks of things.

Unfortunately, I've not used this myself but I'm sure if you downloaded it, burned it to a CD and gave it a whirl, it could just be what you need. I've already added it to the site listings, and you can find it here: https://freewarebb.com/files/file/11455-freenas/ and there is a user guide available here also: http://www.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas8.0.3/freenas8.0.3_guide.html

Please do let us know how you get on, or how easy/difficult you found it to be as other may also be looking for something similar :)
Hope this helps
Marko

James (Jim) Hillier's Photo James (Jim) Hillier 20 Jan 2012
Hey Guys - If all Gil wants to do is have access to data from remote locations would it not possibly be a lot easier and more cost effective to simply set up an account with one of the free cloud storage services?

Depends largely on just how much data is involved of course, I believe Microsoft SkyDrive is currently offering 25 gig storage free.

Just a thought.