The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Restoring Registry - System Will Not Boot

Registry

3 replies to this topic

#1 mancillaj

New Poster!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Was wondering if someone can help me fix a big mistake I made?
    I clicked on a registry backup file that did not belong to the computer the backup file was located on.
    I did not follow the rule I always stress ? Think before you click.
    Both systems are running Windows XP Professional.

Now I am not able to start the computer, it keeps looping back to the Safe Mode screen.
    I have tried selecting the different Safe Mode selections, no help. I also tried booting into the Last working configuration.

I do have a registry backup file for this system, just don't know how execute it since I am not able to boot into windows. I also have System Restore points set.

I hope that I have supplied enough information for someone to help or direct me to where I can find it.

Thanks
    Steve

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,468 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Steve, that's a bit of a mess if I'm honest mate and something I personally wouldn't want to have on my hands !!

However, help may be at hand using this KB from Microsoft - give it a read through and hopefully you may be some way towards regaining access to your system ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
      Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 320 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

That's a good call Marko, useing the recovery console to enter new registry commands is the way to repair it . The only other way to make sure it is 100% fixed is to format and reinstall the OS,,and that is really not a desired option!!!! :good:

#4 mancillaj

New Poster!

• Members
        • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Marko & Claw, will be giving it a try this afternoon. :girl_angel: