The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

Site Cleanup and Tweaks

We've made a few changes to the site, nothing major - are we going in the right direction? Let us know HERE.

");

Antispyware

30 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Which antispyware would you consider the better of the two: Spyware Terminator or Superantispyware???? Both are free and Spyware Terminator has realtime,,but which is the better product?? And why??

#2 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
    • 893 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I don't believe the free versions of products (such as MBAM and SAS) which don't include any real time protection should be labeled anti-spyware at all. The term 'anti-spyware' suggests some sort of preventative measures (in the same manner as 'anti-virus') but that is clearly not the case. I would rather they were called 'scanner/removers', or something similar which reflects the fact they are meant only for use after a machine has already been infected, or as a back-up on-demand scanner - not for any additional protection.

So, the answer to your question is that the two products in question are so fundamentally different as to make any comparisons meaningless.The simple equation is: if you require real time protection Spyware Terminator is the only choice (of the two) - if you are not looking for any real time protection but rather enhanced malware identification and cleaning functionality then SAS would be far superior.

Cheers...Jim
      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#3 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 59 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

So let me ask this..has anyone come across a rt protection in the way of spyware terminator that is effective AND light on resources?

#4 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
        • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:05 AM

Yep, Windows Defender.

#5 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 59 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

Really? I didn't know it could do rt plus i never knew how to even access it..lol
            I see it in updates but never use it
            anything else in ur bag o goodies? :)

#6 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 338 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Windows Defender worked real well for me when I had Norton AV installed,,but at the moment on my main computer, which I'm on now,,I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials,and you can't run MSE along with Windows Defender. Works well with just about everything else!!!!

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Okay, so here's the thing: Some years back, when anti-spyware with real time protection was popular, the AV programs were pretty basic and, as the title suggests, mainly concentrated on protecting against viruses. So, an accompanying anti-spyware program was nigh on a must. Over the years, and in line with the expanding proliferation of spyware threats, AVs have gradually improved and widened their scope of protection. The modern AV is much more versatile than it used to be and also more adept at protecting against a wider variety of threats, including spyware/trojans. So the necessity for one to augment their security with dedicated real time anti-spyware has diminished exponentially.

Most security experts agree that in today's threat landscape HIPS or heuristic based software, that is software which does not rely on traditional definition data bases but rather on behavioral patterns, is a more effective way to add that second layer of protection to one's security. A HIPS based component is included in most respectable firewalls, Threatfire from PC Tools is one of the better and most popular dedicated HIPS based programs. Windows Defender does rely somewhat on definitions but it also includes a very good heuristics engine - areas which WD monitors for possible malicious behavior include: Auto Start, System Configuration (settings), Internet Explorer, Services and Drivers, Application Execution, Application Registrations, 3rd Party Software.

In terms of augmenting an existing AV with free extra protection Windows Defender is arguably one of the best around. WD does not necessarily offer better protection than firewalls or something like Threatfire, but WD works straight out of the box (no tricky configuration), is very easy to use, updates regularly and is light on system resources - advantages that most of the alternatives cannot claim.

HTH,
                Cheers...Jim

#8 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 59 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would agree about the layer config as no one program will cover all of the bases. At the moment, i have to temper my choices with regards to memory comsuption which is why i was asking for any sugg that i may have missed.
                  I STILL don't see how to use defender..lol

#9 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

What operating system are you running Gremmy?

#10 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 338 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

How you doing today Jim???? Hey Grem,,I had Avast Free and Windows Defender on a WinXP,,40GB(yea 40GB) HDD with only 512MB of RAM. That was one of those old systems,,it originaly had 128MB of RAM,,but man ,,loading that was like waiting for a "Dead sloth to run a marathon"!!!!. As to using Defender all I did was install,,it did the rest on it's own. Am I right Jim????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users