The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Suggestion: Search Everything

17 replies to this topic

#11 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thank you FutureShock,,I think Everything seems to be just a file locater. When you first open it every file in your system is displayed,,just type in what you're looking for and there it is. I basiclly use it to delete leftover files from an uninstall,,but you can check to make sure yourself. I know it does very quick" File Indexing. "Thanks again!!!! http://www.voidtools.com/

#12 FutureShock

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
    • 37 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Yeah Claw...just gave it a test spin. Scared the bjeemers out of me what's on my pc. 291,000 files. No way I'll ever make sense of it sad to say. Good idea to use Everything to clean up after uninstalls.

I really like those lightweight catch all tools. I have a couple of port monitors that I like to use that are similar, along with Q-Dir, which is a simple Windows Explorer type program. A little similar to Everything but the folders are displayed in a folder tree. I set it up for quick jumps to a program folder, etc..

Rails for the heads up on E-thing...

#13 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 903 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Couple of points about Everything: Almost all desktop search software works by creating massive indexes which are then utilized to quickly locate a particular file/folder/content for you. Everything does not do this, Everything leverages off the indexing which is already part of the NTFS file system. Everything still creates indexes but they are are tiny compared to other file search programs.

While this system proves to be very fast and effective, it also involves two minor drawbacks; Everything only works with NTFS formatted drives - no great biggee because the vast majority of drives these days would be NTFS anway. Also, Everything cannot search file contents, only file and/or folder names.

If speed is the primary requirement, Everything is the one. Anyone looking for something full featured with more options should check out Copernic Desktop Search Home.

BTW Guys: The native desktop search tool in Windows 7 is the best of the whole lot, but of course you need Windows 7 installed to use it. :)
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#14 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuussseee meeeeeeeeeeee for using my old faithful,,I guess some of "US" aren't so lucky !!!! LOL. :lol2:

#15 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

hahaha...u tell him Claw! Us oldtimers gotta stick together. Whippersnapper Jim can have his doohickey win 7

(wish i had it tho) :lol2:

#16 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
            • 903 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Whippersnapper Jim?????
              Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#17 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I don't know about you Jim,,but sometimes it feels like my Whipper done Snapped. Lol !!!! Hey ,,another little tool I like is Unlocker. I know that one is here,because before I was a member ,FreewareBB is where I got it from. Anyway, that is an easy tool to use if you just take the time and read the notes just to be sure of what you're doing.

#18 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

lol, kiddin with you Jim. :)
                  I have that in my arsenal Claw. Had it for awhile now. One of those tools you need!
                  btw, use duct tape when that happens,Claw. :rofl: