The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Acebyte and Wot

8 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

I've used Acebyte Utility off and on for awhile now. I have never had any type of problems with the program or anything associated with it. Acebyte is "Always" downloaded from here, FreewareBB. I told my step-son about it when he was looking for another cleaner and he came to this site and download it ,,but out of curiousity he checked out the Authors site,,to which WOT has a rating of "All Red". Doing a little more checking , I went and checked to see if there was a mistake. There wasn't,,only the Home ( Authers site) has the negative ratings,,again, I 've over,,under,,and around this site and so far can't understand the negative ratings.

#2 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

I got the same thing from wot but i went to see who was saying it and only 4 people it looks like..all of them saying it is forum spam..whatever the heck that means. It's not a forum so idk wth they meant..lol
      Kinda fishy to me; maybe a guy got his buddies to vote that cos he has something against someone from that company. Semms like a nice tool

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

Never had any problem with it,,and neither has anyone I know. Almost all freeware sites seem to have this utility and all I read when I read reviews are positive statements about the utility and the company,Acebytes,,which has only been around about 2 yrs. that I know of. It's one of those things Jim says "needs explanation" !!!! Almost everyday we seem to run into one of those "need explanation" circumstances !!!!

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 25,530 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Basically, this means the developers are accused if spamming other peoples forums or sites with their products - stopforumspam.com have confirmed that at least one of the registrations that performed the spamming came from came from the username "acebyte" with the email address "[email protected]" so it would appear this developer has been found guilty of doing what they are accused of - I'll keep a little eye on these guys just to make sure nothing kicks off with them - you can verify the registration details of the aforementioned here: http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/183.16.120.197
          Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Marko! Maybe he should find a better way to advertise his product.. :negative:
            Think i will give it a try,thanks to my buddy Claw's experience. :pardon:

#6 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 374 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't have time to really check this out right now (it's am here ,,I'm on more in the pm hours), but I've been told ,if you go to the authors site you get a different version. Again ,,I don't know ,,,yet.

#7 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

From what i can tell, the one from here is just the free ver and the one from there is the pro paid ver that will turn into free after a period of time. I'mm gonna try the pro ver and report back.

EDIT:
                ok, i installed the one from their site but it still gave me the free ver, in which case i don't see why the file would be larger than the one from the link here. It seems like a pretty good tool, nice design and very similar to winutilities or Glary or advanced systemcare.

Edited by Gremlinn, 27 January 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#8 Gremlinn

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 79 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

When WOT first came out, i thought it would be a great addon for my Firefox as it alerts right away about a site,then i could look at comments made about other's experience. Along the way, i found that it flashed warnings about sites that i know are safe and i wondered why but i didn't read the comments at that time.
                  As time went by, i saw more and more "mislabeled" sites from WOT,and the recent situation with Absolute Image forge is convincing me to not rely on the ratings as much. I mean, at this point, i can't really have any confidence whatsoever if their ratings system is this flawed. Any tom,dick or harry can post bad comments about a site for whatever reason that pops in his tiny head. I saw where Jim has spoken to WOT about this so i'm waiting to see how they will rectify. If they won't, i can't see any reason to keep using it and sucking up my memory!

#9 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                  • 25,530 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Think this may be the thing your looking for Gremlinn ... https://freewarebb.com/topic/85915-response-from-wot/
                    Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                    New Freeware on the site
                    Updated Freeware on the site
                    RSS Subscribe
                    Report bad freeware here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

" } ); } $('gbl_d').update( "" ); _last = ipsLightbox.lightboxImage.src; } } /* Check for init and then keep checking for new image */ _to = setTimeout( "gbl_addDownloadButton()", 1000 ); } //]]>