Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Encryption in the news

4 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I have a few newsletters i get updates on and i saw a couple that made me think. What do you guys think about these:

http://www.hacker10.com/other-computing/us-judge-orders-woman-to-decrypt-laptop-or-face-contempt-of-court/

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-01/judge-rules-americans-can-be-forced-decrypt-personal-data-%E2%80%94-what-does-mean-you

Seems like we have fewer and fewer rights as time goes on.

#2 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 522 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Don't know Gremmy, not much to say really,being I've dealt with the subject of search warrants and bail revoction pick-up orders,,so to me it's a fine ,,very fine line. Sometimes you have to really ,I mean REALLY be on both sides to know. But ,,looks like PGP Desktop is a damn good software.

#3 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 163 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

So it would seem.

#4 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
        • 25,677 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well, again, this brings me back round to an argument I've always used in circumstances like this .. if we've got nothing to hide, we've got nothing to worry about ... right?. It's like CCTV camera's - I don't mind them being there cause after all, I'm doing nothing wrong, and they can only aid me. If someone were to attack me, a CCTV operator could be the person to call for assistance or if I was wrongly accused of a crime, CCTV camera's could prove my innocence.

If you're arrested on suspicion of a crime and the police consider certain material could prove beyond reasonable doubt that you committed said crime, then a warrant to search your premises and recover evidence is usually granted. This includes items behind locked doors, in locked containers or in other words, they can bust into anything they want. When it comes to data storage, encryption and passwords, then again, if you've nothing to hide and all that ... for me personally, if your arrested and you know you're innocent, surely you'd want to prove it by using any means necessary - it's usually only the guilty that insist on using their 'right to silence' or pull all the "amendments" out the hat in an effort to cover their asses!. As a law abiding citizen, we have nothing to fear - let's not try and argue over giving criminals any more rights than they already have by affording them the liberty to knowingly withhold evidence from their prosecutors, even if it does help convict them!
          Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 522 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yea,,what you said !!!! Thank you Marko for putting it "exactly "the way it should be put!!!! I honestly don't think I have "EVER,, EVER " heard it put down any better. You have covered the scope inside and out. If you are an innocent person who has bwwn wronged,,you "HIRE" an attorney,,if you are a bad person who has done wrong,,,an attorney will be appointed to you. Innocent=pay attorney,,,bad=free attorney. Your God given rights cost a fortune!!!!