Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Ultimate PC "set and forget" Freeware Protection

set and forget protection ultimate security novice best protection

34 replies to this topic

#1 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 25,696 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

OK, here's the situation ... let's say we have a novice computer user, a person who doesn't know the first thing about protecting their machine - our task is to secure their machine on a "set and forget" basis - basically, something they don't need to administer at all, and one which would include real-time scanning ... which set up would you choose for them?.

This could include an antivirus app, antispyware, firewall or any combination of these and other applications to cover every eventuality you can think of.

Just curious to what everyone is using and this thread could prove useful to those people unsure about securing their machines on a "set and forget" basis.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

#2 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 544 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Are we talking just freeware??

#3 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 25,696 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yes, just freeware claw :)
        Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
        New Freeware on the site
        Updated Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

#4 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 179 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I would say Avast for the antivirus, Winpatrol, Threatfire is a good one too

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 544 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Avast-antivirus,,,,Windows Defender -antispyware...Comodo Firewall

#6 mizdoc

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have an older lady who fits this profile perfectly. So I put Avast, Malwarebytes, and WinPatrol on her computer.
              ...And still she calls me whenever anything different pops up on her screen... :)

#7 Gerry Hatrick

New Poster!

• Members
              • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Rather afraid to bring the big M into this, but, Microsoft Security Essentials does it for me. For back up: Malawearbytes, Superantispywear and of course Winpatrol in the background. Fit Wot to the browser and away she goes.

#8 BigB

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
                • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

For an "all in one" solution I would recommend Comodo Internet Security with defense+ enable. For any one else it's Comodo (firewall only) and Avast anti virus.

#9 FutureShock

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

I put Avast on my father's machine when I decided to break him into the computer generation. If there'd have been a single problem iwth that PC, it would have been cast overboard in an instant, and he knew nothing about them when I set him up. Now He loves the "Avast Anti-virus has been updated" vixen, and gets around like a champ. The key with Avast is that it updates automatically never a hitch or glitch. Can't compare it to any others...it's the only one I've used, myself other than AVG, but that was too long ago for a comparison...

#10 jjj

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

MSE - it runs in the background without any notifications , and you can set the default to auto if it detects anything, There is also never reguests to upgrade.
                      The inbuilt firewall, (however I've no experience in any other)