Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

For long term, which is better to back up your files to, a thumb drive or a hard drive?

4 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Backing up files - Thumb drive or Hard Drive (6 member(s) have cast votes)

For long term, which is better to back your files up to, a thumb drive or a hard drive?

1. Thumb Drive (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Hard Drive - Traditional (5 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. Hard Drive - Solid State (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

4. Cloud (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mancillaj

New Poster!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have people ask me all the time where / how to back up their files. They state how easy it is to back up their files to a thumb drive and could put it in a safedeposit box for safe keeping.
    I am not sure which format would be best for long term storage and where the files would be the most stable.

Thanks for you suggestions

Steve

#2 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
    • 25,674 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'd probably opt for USB/thumb drive - it's really no easier or harder to wipe data held on a thumb drive as opposed to the other storage mediums, and even then when deciding which one's to choose it could be down to personal preference - for me, it's the speed at which a USB drive can read/write and affordability will also play a part of the considerations.

Whilst the other mediums may have their advantages, I think for home data storage, a decent sized and well kept thumb drive can be more than adequate for anyone's long term storage needs and is easily transported and widely compatible :)
      Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 517 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

I personally prefer Hard Drives over Thumb,,only because I have know many instances where after a short while ,,that when the Back-up was needed ,,the thumb drive failed.Just a few weeks ago I know of one case where when needed ,,files were missing that were there on the Hard Drive back-up made days before.

#4 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
        • 971 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I agree with Claw - purely based on the reliability factor. Flash memory has a comparatively higher breakdown rate, USB hard drives are more reliable. Plus, of course, on a per megabyte basis HDDs are a fair bit cheaper. A couple of months ago I bought a brand new WD 320GB external drive for $48.00 - I didn't really need it but who could pass up a bargain like that!! LOL
          Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#5 mancillaj

New Poster!

• Members
          • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thanks....great feedback

Back to Polling Place Next Unread Topic ?