The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Spybot?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

I can't believe it!! I just cleaned a slight malware problem,,if there's anything you would consider slight when it comes to malware. But after installing Windows Defender, I sent the man home with his computer. Awhile later,,he calls complaining why I put that sh*t(WD) on his computer?? I said about how good it is and on,,and on. He said."remove it". He comes back and I try SAS, he says no,,I say,Spyware Terminator,,"no". I said you name it,,and it took all I had in me not to fall over laughing when he said,,"I want the best,,give me SpyBot Search and Destroy". Marko,,Marko,,Marko,,that is the only thought that went in my head for the last 3 hours. So now it seems that when I hear freeware I think FreewareBB,,gaday mate,I think of Jim,,and SpyBot?? Sorry Marko ,but the banter back and forth between you and Jim caused that,,buddy :good:

#2 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

The best?? Who put that idea in his head? Spybot is good and it does find and remove some things others miss, but i don't think it's the "best".
      A-squared Anti-Malware is one i used awhile back and it's one of those unsung heroes! Now it's called Emsisoft Anti-malware. This thing will find alot of things others miss.
      I use both SAS and Malwarebytes as they are reconized as being at the top in terms of effectiveness.

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 424 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

That's the thing dude,,Spybot is a little dated,,or should I say out-dated somewhat.It had it's time and it still does a real good job. It's just that now it has to play catch-up with the "young guns". Marko likes it and that alone says alot for it.

#4 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

Oooo, you babdboy! callin grandpa old :rofl:

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 424 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

It's all in keeping up with todays demands. Like I said Marko likes it,,so you know it's got to be good. I like it ,,I'm just in a faster pace than Spybot is on updating definitions. Most people don't realize ,,but old Spybot was one of the first of its kind,,and maybe one day it will be at the top once again !!!!

#6 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

HAHAHA, when you said "outdated" and "need to catch up with the "young guns" and then said Marko... :lol2:

...look at me..instigating..hehe

In it's day, it was at the top of the pile, and it's still good but the devolopers don't seem very interested in keeping pace. I'd add it for another layer of protection but as it is now, others are my first choice.

#7 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
              • 924 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Guys, Spybot was developed way back in the day when just about everyone used Internet Explorer, its primary protection is all centered around Internet Explorer. For I.E. users it remains a somewhat useful addition, for anyone else, including those who primarily use Firefox or Chrome, it is next to useless....and thems the facts. LOL

As for utilizing Spybot as a back up (or on-demand) scanner, well sorry, but with the likes of MBAM, Emsisoft and SAS around, that really is a laughable concept. :)
                Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#8 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 424 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Exactly Jim,,that's what made the situation so difficult to explain because this man was so dead set on Spybot. But like I said,,when he said "Spybot" the first thing that popped into my head was Marko!!!! I remember when I first joined FBB,you and Marko were going at it (jokingly) about Spybot. So now when I hear it,,,,,well,,,I'm scarred for life !!!! :rofl:

#9 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                  • 25,559 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm actually a tad confused because I don't really remember recommending Spybot over and above anything else, I don't usually recommend much at all if I'm honest, I've been known to suggest something but rarely recommend - although to set the record straight, if I were to pick any spyware app which would be the first onto a computer it would most probably be SAS which I've wrote about many times previous so I'm not entirely sure where we're getting the notion that I would defend Spybot to the death here guys?
                    Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                    New Freeware on the site
                    Updated Freeware on the site
                    RSS Subscribe
                    Report bad freeware here

#10 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
                    • 924 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hmmm.

Personally I would recommend either Ad-Aware or Spybot although if I were to be pushed I would probably say Spybot. I've used both for many years and always had great success

Hopefully Windows 7 will make better use of RAM and cut out the unnecessary clutter as well as definately give users the option NOT to run Defender which in my opinion can't touch the likes of Spybot or Adaware

Once you've completed the boot-time scan, download and install something like SUPERAntiSpyware or Spybot

That was after just a quick dig around. Admittedly some of those quotes are getting a tad long in tooth - bit like Spybot methinks!! :crazy: :man_in_love:

Sorry Marko, couldn't help myself. :girl_angel:
                      Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

" } ); } $('gbl_d').update( "" ); _last = ipsLightbox.lightboxImage.src; } } /* Check for init and then keep checking for new image */ _to = setTimeout( "gbl_addDownloadButton()", 1000 ); } //]]>