←  Polling Place

FBB

»

When is it time to rebuild a computer?

Poll: When is it time to rebuild a computer (31 member(s) have cast votes)

When is it time to rebuild a computer

1. I would normally rebuild a computer once a month anyway (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I would normally rebuild a computer a few times a year as a matter of course (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. I would probably rebuild a computer after a virus scare (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I would only rebuild a computer if it became virtually unuseable and too slow (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

5. I would only rebuild a computer if it wouldn't boot properly (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

6. I have never rebuilt my computer (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

7. Other (please specify) (13 votes [41.94%])

Percentage of vote: 41.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko's Photo marko 06 Feb 2012
Whether it's your own PC or someone else's, there may come a time when you think enough is enough and it's time to rebuild the blighter !!.

Question is, when would you think this?

mizdoc's Photo mizdoc 07 Feb 2012
As long as my computer is working fine, I don't upgrade, But if I see a good deal on a faster, better, barebones kit, and I have the cash to buy it, I will.

FutureShock's Photo FutureShock 07 Feb 2012
Good question marko. I haven't rebuilt, but I stressed ultra high durability in the first place in hopes of avoiding it as long as possible. This one is maxxed out more or less for the software (XP) I have on it with 4 GB RAM, so I'm not thinking much about that. I just try to prepare for the inevitable hard drive crash and then I suppose repair one part at a time as I go when anything else roots out...

Gremlinn's Photo Gremlinn 07 Feb 2012
When i can no longer tolerate it not being able to do the things i want..lol
If i can't use it like i want, there's no need to suffer anymore :)

Ralph C.'s Photo Ralph C. 08 Feb 2012
Not sure what the definition of "rebuild" is. Do you mean format and start over? Or do you mean actually start changing out motherboards, fans, chipsets etc.? I have formatted and re-installed XP several times and added more RAM and a few times replaced hard drives for faster, bigger ones. Never have I messed with motherboards, or main processors though. When it comes to that, I would simply buy a new unit. I must admit though, that both my wife and I have switched to notebooks now with Win 7, and rarely fire up the XP desktop, except to use the perfectly good Epson 1200U scanner which Win 7 won't talk to, Ugh!

Claw's Photo Claw 08 Feb 2012
I;ve changed a couple hard drives recently and did a few RAM updrades,,but I try to hold out as long as possible.

CraftyBill's Photo CraftyBill 08 Feb 2012
About every three years, I buy a refurbished trade in from my computer guy who refreshes late model trade ins. So each time I upgrade, I get one of the better "last year's models" with OS and antivirus installed for about $100.00 or so.

Scottar's Photo Scottar 08 Feb 2012
When technology has advanced significantly I would rebuild it with new memory, motherboard, video board, case, about every 5 or 6 years. It's been overdue but economics prevents me from doing so and I may just use a refurbished laptop instead of a monster energy hogging full board system. labtops can be just as good performers as desktops.

I usually don't get the latset and greatest as I don't have the $$$ and it's not really worth it unless you have money to burn or good reason to.

BigB's Photo BigB 08 Feb 2012
Every year or so when I upgrade my internals. It's not the best but it works! Might be longer this time due to the economy.

I just did a case swap so had to rebuild. This time the cable tidying is better.

marko's Photo marko 08 Feb 2012
Great replies guys - just to clarify when I say "rebuild" I was meaning rebuild the operating system, that is, wipe (format) the computer and start again with a fresh install although it's cool if you have already answered in regards to rebuilding the hardware, it's still relevant :)