←  Polling Place

FBB

»

When is it time to rebuild a computer?

Poll: When is it time to rebuild a computer (31 member(s) have cast votes)

When is it time to rebuild a computer

1. I would normally rebuild a computer once a month anyway (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I would normally rebuild a computer a few times a year as a matter of course (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. I would probably rebuild a computer after a virus scare (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I would only rebuild a computer if it became virtually unuseable and too slow (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

5. I would only rebuild a computer if it wouldn't boot properly (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

6. I have never rebuilt my computer (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

7. Other (please specify) (13 votes [41.94%])

Percentage of vote: 41.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

DaComboMan's Photo DaComboMan 08 Feb 2012
Testing beta programs can be risky.
Seeing that i don't use any "sandboxing" program, i tend to re-install probably once a month.
Never use Windows7 System Restore to any given point in time.
Prefer clean install.

If i'm patient enough i'll use Acronis (but even this program has its' limits).

BigB's Photo BigB 08 Feb 2012
If it's OS install you mean then way too often.

Gremlinn's Photo Gremlinn 08 Feb 2012
In that case Marko, i try not to do a refresh unless i notice my system isn't as snappy as it should be, because then i have to reinstall everything. I have EaseUS todo backup and i made a whole system backup, but unfortunately i discovered easeUS a little bit after i had last did a refresh so it's a copy of a less than snappy system.
Now that i have a program to make a total system backup, i may be doing that refresh very soon!

Gerry Hatrick's Photo Gerry Hatrick 08 Feb 2012
I last got the rebuild bug when the Sandy Bridge processors came onto the scene. Of course, having updated the processor the rest of the machine followedin quick time-----including the cases.

Is it because I'm weird [dont answer that] that I enjoy the build/rebuild as much as using the damn things. GH :scratch_one-s_head:

Scottar's Photo Scottar 08 Feb 2012

View Postmarko, on 08 February 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

Great replies guys - just to clarify when I say "rebuild" I was meaning rebuild the operating system, that is, wipe (format) the computer and start again with a fresh install although it's cool if you have already answered in regards to rebuilding the hardware, it's still relevant :)

Well then, I don't do it unless I see or think the system has been compromised by an embedded virus/trojan, or it has become so disfunction as to affect performance, or it has crashed and I can't recover it. Of course the preferred way is to back the system up before major installs or upgrades but sh*t happens.

The problem is you have to install the upgrades all over again. I do try to download the significant upgrades that are large files or comprehensive SP type upgrades, that way I don't have to go through the long process of downloading the patches and fixes, which is very time consuming if your still in modem land. Then there's the headache of retweaking the OS back to where you liked it.

And this year I was forced to go to Vista as my old Toshiba laptop crashed due to a malfunction accident when a I tried to do a BIOS upgrade, I tried to do it in windows, big no-no. The BIOS chip got fried and it became too iffy to fix it- a new motherboard replacement. Ever tore into a laptop?

My new laptop replacement, an HP-Pavilion, has hardware that XP can't handle so I stuck with the OS it came with. It has some nice features and some crappy ones, especially the keyboard design. I wouldn't have gotten this computer if I had the money to make choices but HP's are not bad and HP has better support over Toshiba. If I decide to upgrade my hardware again I will probably do it on my experience with HP.

So- reinstall from system backups and upgrade when significant changes have occurred in hardware and OS. And then it becomes a bang per buck issue. Always backup the data as often as possible. :bye:
:pardon:

Claw's Photo Claw 09 Feb 2012
I'm pretty sure that answers the question !!!!

BobC's Photo BobC 09 Feb 2012
I rarely rebuild my Windows computers - only when they start failing due to some software malfunction. When a H/W malfunction occurs, I either get it fixed or buy a new system if it is cheaper than fixing it. I do not need all the "new toys" that come down the road. I find stuff that I used back in the MS/DOS days still usable and gets the job done. When I moved on to Win 95, I incorporated a few more items that I still use today, again, they get the job done. When my H/W crapped out totally (Power SUpply took out mother board, video card and some other stuff (but not the HDD)) it was cheaper to buy an XP system than replace - also able to get a MB that supported my old H/W - e.g., old joystick, combo drive (5 1/4 and 3 1/2), etc. Unfortunate, my XP system crapped out and I bought a cheaper Acer that came with the atrocious Windows 7 (a piece of crap IMO). I will probably scavenge the repair shops for some old MB to get my old XP system running again.

I also use Ubuntu and Mint. Those I end up re-installing every release. However, I am now staying with 10.04 as the new releases are crap. I prefer Gnome 2. They suggestions to use Gnome Classic, LXCE, Mint and other desktops all have their drawbacks. While some come close to Gnome 2, they aren't Gnome 2. I make use of both top and bottom panels and the ability to move stuff around on the panels. While you can drag stuff to the panel, all the new distros that I have tried prevent you from organizing the panel plus some other limitations. If I wanted an Apple or Win. 7 I would have bought that system (unfortunately, my new system came with Win. 7). I have VirtualBox installed on the Win. 7 system and have Ubuntu installed and played with other distros. I use 10.04 to get stuff done (along with DropBox - can't get Linux distros to pick up the external HDs and the USB sticks even though VirtualBox recognizes them - will try VMWare Player at some point).

marko's Photo marko 09 Feb 2012
Bob, it is possible to have a new Windows 7 machine run XP, check this previous article for more info: https://freewarebb.com/topic/60487-installing-windows-xp-after-windows-7/

Tref's Photo Tref 09 Feb 2012
Just when I think I know a fair amount about computers, someone comes along and asks a question like this one. Rebuild my computer? Yeessh - my idea of rebuilding my computer is to get a new monitor, or keyboard. Wait! I did replace two drives. Does that count?

Ralph C.'s Photo Ralph C. 10 Feb 2012
Scottar, you mentioned in your post that you download Windows updates so that when you have to R&R the OS, you do not have to re-download all of them. This is something I would love to do. How do you do that? I have a very restrictive internet connection that limits me to 5 GB / month and doing an R&R would absolutely put me over my limit for the month. Please advise how to download and save the updates so that from now on I can do so as well. I have 2 Win 7 laptops that we (my wife and I) both keep updated and therefore have to download all updates twice. What a waste of my precious bandwidth! Your reply could save me precious $$ as I pay $1.00/MB if I go over my 5 GB's
Thanks in advance.