The Safe Free Download Site

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Megaupload - sympathy or deserved?

megaupload

15 replies to this topic

#11 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

The U.S. has become the World's overseer. So many countries are reliant on the U.S. for defense, and it is paramount for those countries to maintain 'friendly' relations with their protector. So much so that they become pawns in U.S. policy.

Take Australia for example. In terms of numbers, armory and military technology our defenses are a joke. We couldn't defend ourselves against anyone. Maintaining the U.S. as a close ally and protector frees up billions of dollars for our government to waste in other areas and on other projects. But, of course, there is always a trade-off and Australia has subsequently become America's political lapdog - we daren't upset the U.S.

Many other countries/regions are in the same boat, and this situation effectively hands over enormous international political influence to the U.S. The FBI arrested Kim Dotcom and two of his associates in New Zealand, raided MegaUpload subsiduaries in Canada and the Netherlands, and either arrested or issued warrants for individuals who are citizens of Germany, Slovakia, Estonia and the Netherlands.

What other local authority would have such far reaching international powers/influence?

Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#12 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 427 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Look,,they can start any kind of suit they want against the US.. You might as well sue ME!!!! Every year the government basiclly tells me that they can't survive or function without MY MONEY!!!! So now this will go on and on and on and in the long run ,,I will be actually be paying for it. And I" never "used it. Well,,it does "tick" me off that some of my buddies here were affected. And for Jim,,,just because you're given the gun you shouldn't shoot anyone,,,BUT over here(US) if you rob someone,,you can get 25-45 yrs. in prison,,but if you kill them ,you get life in prison,,which 5 out of 10 time an out-going governor(leaving office) will grant you a full pardon in 15 yrs. It just happened here in Mississippi. If you have the time to do it check out Governor Hayley Barbour.
      And just to repeat myself Jim,,I AGREE with you.

#13 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
      • 924 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hey Claw - Just to make it clear - I am in no way bashing the U.S., merely stating the position as I see it. In fact, I shudder to think where the World might be today if not for America's influence. Mistakes have been made yes, but overall we owe the U.S. a lot.

I believe a class action suit is almost a certainty, but I doubt it will drag on and I also doubt we shall ever get to hear the exact details of the outcome. I suspect it will be settled out of court for an 'undisclosed sum'. Of course, I could also be completely wrong. :)

As for the criminal justice system, you do not want to get me started on that! Here in OZ the system is a complete joke. The whole shebang is heavily influenced by civil libertarians and do-gooders. So much so that our laws now favor the criminals and are actually, in many cases, detrimental to the victims. I'll stop there otherwise this will turn into a rant which goes on for 5 more pages. LOL
        Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#14 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 427 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Jim,buddy,I am American,,,,,but when we (them,us ??) are wrong, I am first in line to do any kind of bashing.You are most likely 100% right on the outcome. Good ol' Boy ,,Backdoor ,,underhanded,, you pad my pocket I'll pad yours,politics,is what makes this world go around,,all they want is the pot of gold. You know,,sometimes riding the rainbow is better than the pot of gold !!!! Like everything else,the little, honest man loses out.

#15 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 427 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

You know what else is a shame???? Here we are holding a real at the moment discussion of something thats happening in the computer world,,so to speak. ana every panel discussion ends up with politics. Their hands are into so much other than what they should be in,,that discussions on freeware forums end up about politics. Make the laws ,,make the rules,,"WE" fight for the rights!!!! just let us live and do what we elect them to do,,,,stand up for us not against us..

#16 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 25,570 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

I think if we consider the bare facts on their own, that is, Megaupload have obviously broken the law, then I don't think most of us would have had an issue in countries working together in this way, but firstly it's the way they've done it that causes do many people concern and secondly I could probably think of a million and one other areas of crime I'd rather they sorted before this - but as I've always said, money talks and always has!. That and the fact there are still thousands of other avenues people can download those files which Megaupload hosted makes this move seriously questionable - if they brought down all the other file hosts that do this then there would have at least been some credibility in the move but to target just one is futile.

I think as a consequence of this move though, it will make other indexing and sharing sites think long and hard about if they want to continue to run the risk of serving this type of material or, like BT Torrent, close the doors and slip away into the crowd never to be seen again and as we've seen, even being based in a foreign country now offers little protection although I'm still a tad confused with the whole "hosting country" situation as I was under the impression that if the files were hosted outwith a country that upheld copyright protection there were no consequences or at least it was extremely difficult to pursue, unless of course that still stands depending on which country is doing the hosting!
              Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              Updated Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

" } ); } $('gbl_d').update( "" ); _last = ipsLightbox.lightboxImage.src; } } /* Check for init and then keep checking for new image */ _to = setTimeout( "gbl_addDownloadButton()", 1000 ); } //]]>