Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

A Littlle Help

16 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

My sister has an old Dell running XP sp3,,she has never had a problem,,,until now. She says this has happened only Twice. Computer just sitting,,nothing on it but the screen saver,,all programs are closed off she's finished for the day. When she notices a box about 4in. long and 3in. high.,,tan in color with the blue xp strip on the top. Inside is a white mail envelope with a purple circle with the Yahoo Y in it. On the bottom of the box are 2 buttons,,like ok and cancel,except there is no words at all anywhere. She presses buttons,,,nothing,,she clicks icons nothing except the "move here"menu pops up. She opens MSE from the taskbar ,it says "not enough storage to run application. She clicks Start,,Control Panel,,and it says"can not put shortcut here." She hits "log out: it logs out,,then she logs in and all's ok. Computer works great. This is the secound time this has happened. I have no idea. Any thoughts from beyond???? :unknown:

#2 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 133 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

I have a few old Dells myself, all running XP and i can't say i've run into that yet.
      IDK, it sounds like either some kind of trojan or possibly a corrupt Yahoo install. Does she have any Yahoo programs?

I'd try a safe mode scan with Superspyware or whatever, see what turns up. If it's clean then maybe a corrupt install, which i would uninstall any Yahoo products, one by one and see if the problem repeats.

#3 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 463 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hey brother Grem,,all she has is Yahoo mail,,which has the Advisor and the update. I've been thinking the same thing. Other than those 2 instances ,,it really runs great,,nice, smooth and fast.

#4 James (Jim) Hillier

Platinum Poster!

• Super Mod
        • 940 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Not much to add Claw, except to confirm Gremie's advice sounds spot on to me.
          Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

#5 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 463 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Like I said Jim,,I've been thinking along those lines too,,but just needed to hear that back-up voice telling me too.

#6 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Lol, i need to get that too. Seeing that yahoo update, perhaps when she went to update it, there was some kind of error which caused this. Try uninstalling that update if you can.

Best of luck, Mr IT man :)

#7 Scottar

Advanced Member!

• BANNED
              • 32 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Dude:

I finally found your post. Since many freebe and shareware vendors will bundle toolbars and other software baggage that they get paid for from the 2nd party vendors. So my guess it this Yahoo utility that got installed with some other program, it could even be the screen saver.

My advice is to get some kind of system process monitor utility like:

Process Lasso

You then need to identify the program that's running probably as a TSR. You could use 'msconfig' which is Microsoft's system monitor and look at processes running tab or startup tab.

The last resort is looking through the registry is you know how that works and gutting out the offending program if you know you have IDed it.

Looking over the posts it seems to be linked to the email program. This is why I don't like either Yahoo or Google media stuff.

Happy hunting dude.

#8 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 463 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Scottar, I'll take all that into consideration. Thanks buddy. :good:

#9 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 463 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well it seems like I have nothing better to do right now except "FIGHT SOME DAMN MALWARE I JUST PICKED UP FROM GOD KNOWS WHERE" !!!! Fake anti-virus,,redirecting,,even Combofix won't run,,in safe or normal mode. Mcafee Stinger running in safe mode at the moment. Damn,,,,it's my main machine too. Man I'm p***ed off.!!!! :dash2: :ireful:

#10 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 463 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Seems like I may have won the Malware battle,,although Combofix wouldn't run. Just used a little utility called unhide.exe. All My Picture,,My Documents and Start Menu and most of my icos were gone (hidden). Used unhide.exe and in 2 min.they were back. You should check it out, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/unhide
                      Marko,,,, this may be something you're interested in,,maybe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users