"); //]]>
");

New Avast 7.0 Yea or No

Avast 7.0

33 replies to this topic

"); //]]>

Poll: New Avast 7.0 Yea or No (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the New Avast 7.0 (5 is best)

1. 5 (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Too early to tell with the new Cloud Service etc. (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Haven't noticed any slowdown yet Grem,,but the Avast computers were being used at 4:30 am. So the only thing moving slow was me.
    I'll be on one a little later, right now they are both on my weekly "Mbam" scan. May lose the internet for awhile,,,tornado in my area. Terrific.

#12 Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 236 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hahaha, you tickle me.

Oh jeeze, be careful bro. I've been very close to having one drop near me and it's scary. Keep watching the news and radio jic.

One thing about Avast now is that after i made those changes, i have noticed more responsive page loads and also, i don't know if its connected but before, some pics didn't show on some sites and now they do. hmmm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 25,883 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

I have, however, noticed some really annoying prompts telling me avast "hasn't analyzed" this file yet and it's recommended to open the file in the sandbox which will simply confuse and frustrate a lot of users who have never came across this before ... why not simply analyze the program silently and then prompt if it finds something suspicious?. A lot of users don't really want to be hit with having to make a choice and dare I say this could potentially be a bit of a turn off. Antivirus software, for me personally, shouldn't tell us it's not seen this file before, after all it could be a perfectly innocent file or application and as I say, will only serve to confuse and potentially alarm people when it prompts them to open something in the sandbox because then they will assume something is wrong.

Not a particularly great start to what looks like a reasonably good update.
        Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
        New Freeware on the site
        Updated Freeware on the site
        RSS Subscribe
        Report bad freeware here

#14 Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 236 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, that was a big pain in the butt. I think i have it trained now.. :)

Seems alot of the new changes are on the heavy handed side, trying to err on the side of caution but being a pain in the caboose in the meantime. I would def recommend going into the expert settings and adjusting to suit your personal needs. I don't care for their choices of defaults..too aggressive for my tastes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 732 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hey Grem,,the default settings are that tough ???? So far I don't see a problem,,at least so far.

#16 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 25,883 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

It would appear avast also doesn't like system restore - I set my machine back a few weeks after installing v7 and upon restart noticed avast wasn't running. Trying to enable the shields via avast's own interface didn't work so I tried uninstalling the software but just kept getting "Error reading product data from ?C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\?. Setup cannot continue."

I tried downloading the Avast Uninstall Utility but still no luck. I even tried starting the avast service from services.msc but still wouldn't start so finally I booted into safe mode and tried to uninstall but it still failed so as a last resort I tried the uninstall utility again and luckily that eventually removed the program. I rebooted and reinstalled the app and everything is working normally again. This only seems to be an issue if you restore back to v6 after installing v7 and although it won't affect a great number of people, it's still possibly a bug if you ask me :)
              Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

#17 Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 236 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Well for me it is Claw. Something happened to my usual pc..kept shutting off by itself so i have to tear down and rebuild it, so now i'm using a real old pc..dell optiplex 270 with 512mb of memory so i feel every little wrinkle! I could surf pretty easy with v6 but soon after i upgraded to v7, i noticed the drag.

@Marko, man that's kinda scary! I was def thinking about changing back myself..which reminds me; i want to ask about keeping maybe the last 2 previous versions of software on FreewareBB. I noticed the download link is to the latest version. That may suck up alot of space though,huh?
                Thanks for that link to their uninstaller..i'm gonna give v7 a little more time, buuut..:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 25,883 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostGremlinn, on 29 February 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

i want to ask about keeping maybe the last 2 previous versions of software on FreewareBB. I noticed the download link is to the latest version. That may suck up alot of space though,huh?
                  Unfortunately it would use up a lot of space to keep any more than we already do on the server Gremlinn, we also link to a lot of files direct from the developers site so it would apply to those files we host ourselves. Ideally, I would like to host files for all our downloads but I'm afraid the resources to do this would be vast and cost a small fortune and we've only just about started breaking even again with the hosting cost's we have at the moment so while this is definitely a future project, I still think it's some way off :good:

Forums
                  New Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#19 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 181 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Don't know why, but Avast 7 has me interested in other free A-Vs. Not that I'm going to change, but I am starting to be interested in my options.

The whole "cloud" thing. What is this?

First you buy a cloud for your files...on someone else's who knows how secure server. Clouds everywhere all a sudden. Now we got to have a cloud with Avast? For one I think I hope Avast gets dragged through town square on this one. I think eventually the cloud might be even a positive thing, but if someone doesn't let them know that being ahead of the game is just par for the course with A-V I'm worried they might go off the deep end for v8. More than that, the security issue comes to mind. This cloud is also a direct connection to my PC. IDK, but I may have reached my one cloud per machine limit...

To all the other clouds out there...hey you, get off my cloud!

#20 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 732 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

"hey you, get off my cloud"! I love that FS. Agreed, clouds everywhere,,everything is running in the cloud. Now that may be a good thing but it is starting to be a little overkill.. Marko buddy what happened to you most positively seems to be a major bug. what happens to the average user who,,,unlike you "doesn't" know what to do???? And even you took quite a few stabs at resolving the issue. I always say,,"he who has the most toys,,wins", but sometimes ,,,the "toy box overflows with clutter". Avast is a basic AV,,just alittle head above the rest,,but maybe plain,simple and very good at what it does,,is "all it needs to be"!!!!

Back to Polling Place Next Unread Topic ?