Safe Freeware

Why not become a full member?, it's fast, free and allows you to participate in our forums and add or comment on our free software, leave reviews, access unlimited free downloads and more! - we NEVER share your details with anyone else, that's a promise! ... REGISTER FREE TODAY

");

Guten Dag, Bonjour, howdy y'all

15 replies to this topic

#1 James Van Damme

New Poster!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Salama, if there's any Malagasy reading this....

I found out about this place from the DotTech blog site (http://dottech.org) and decided to sign up because of the cute Tux penguin, figuring this must be a great place for Linux aficionados to hang out. Unfortunately, it seems that you just like penguins. I look for software that's open source and cross-platform first.

Tot ziens
    Veloma

jim

#2 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to the site,,but does that mean you're leaving???? If I were you ,,I'd wait and ask our resident fountains of know ledge ,,Marko and Jim !!!! :)

#3 Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 179 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hey, welcome! you related to Jean Claude? :good:

#4 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Jean Claude??,,only you Grem,only you.

#5 James Van Damme

New Poster!

• Members
          • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostGremlinn, on 05 March 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Hey, welcome! you related to Jean Claude? :good:
            No, that's only his stage name, he picked it cuz Van Dammes are so badass. And, it's the most common name in Flanders.
            No, I won't be leaving (right away anyhow) because I'm a sucker for freeware and sometimes I need Windows software to help other folks. But I'm cutting WAY down on the list, especially ones with toolbars and ads and crap (CNet? Pffft). What I'd really like to see is a way of sorting apps so that you ONLY see the ones for your OS, e.g., WindowsXP, or Vista-7 AND Linux, or OS-X AND CP-M, or whatever. It bugs me to see stuff like Gimp listed for "Windows XP-7". Also, a lot of the time I know what I want to do; but what to do it with? Like, do I download InPaint to erase something in an image? But there's a Gimp plugin to do that very thing, and you don't have to leave your editing process in Gimp. Same with a PDF editor; you could install a program to convert to "Word doc" (like that's a universal standard!), or connvert it on-line, or just install the PDF importer extension (from Oracle) into LibreOffice.

OK, rant over. Sayonara.

#6 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 25,704 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi James, yes, the penguin can be a little bit of a red herring but it's not intentional at all - when I started the site back in 2007 I had the intention of only adding open source, etc but things just exploded somewhat and although we do certainly have a lot of open source on the site, for the main it's windows freeware which we've carefully vetted to ensure it's safe, clean and worth adding.

I do take your point also on the fact that software such as Gimp is available for other platforms like Linux but we've been dealing with Windows software for so long now that it would probably take us an eternity to go through all our listings and update them to show which software works with which platform. HOWEVERRRRRRRRRR .... we will be making some changes hopefully just after the first quarter of this year which may help us on that front - basically, we're hoping to have our own PAD file database custom built for us to work on the site which will then allow us to accept PAD files (Portable Application Description) directly from developers which will contain as much information as the developers can throw at us such as platform availability, and a great deal more, etc, and because it's from the developer it will allow us to "poll" the file every so often to make sure we're offering the very latest versions of the software :)

As for sorting, you can query our database in a great number of ways using our Advanced Search form, so if you only wanted to see those listings we know can run on Linux just enter "linux" in the "Will run on" box adn hit "Search Now" - similarly, there are other filters available, it's just a matter of tweaking them to your preference - hope that explains :good:
              Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              Updated Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

#7 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Huh,,,James,,what did I tell you.You have just got all your answers from "the top dog himself". Yea Marko,,if only some of that genius would just rub off on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Grem,,LOL,,LOL,,LOL. :rofl:

#8 marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                • 25,704 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

"genius"??? I've been called many things in my time Claw, but I can't ever remember being called that :)
                  Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
                  New Freeware on the site
                  Updated Freeware on the site
                  RSS Subscribe
                  Report bad freeware here

#9 Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well now you 'HAVE' !!!! You heard here first ,,,from your buddy Claw.

#10 James Van Damme

New Poster!

• Members
                    • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

View Postmarko, on 05 March 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

As for sorting, you can query our database in a great number of ways using our Advanced Search form, so if you only wanted to see those listings we know can run on Linux just enter "linux" in the "Will run on" box adn hit "Search Now" - :good:

Incredible, the Great And Powerful Marko the Root read my mind. I will further peruse the site, but only in hushed tones in his presence.

Aloha
                      Jim