Get new downloads in your inbox each morning

If you want to be kept up to date on the latest downloads added to the site each day through your email, just pop your email address into our daily downloads service HERE.

"); //]]>
");

Will you be installing Windows 8 when it is released?

windows 8 install released

85 replies to this topic

"); //]]>

Poll: Will you be buying or upgrading to Windows 8 when it is released? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be buying or upgrading to Windows 8 when it is released?

1. Yes, definitely, from what I've already seen this looks like the best from MS so far (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

2. Yes, I would, but it's really only to keep up to date (3 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. Yes, I would if the price was right, otherwise I'd have to think about it (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

4. No, probably not, I don't see the point in spending money when W7 is relatively new and stable enough (10 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. No, unless I actually had to (17 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

6. No, I'll keep my existing Windows till the death ! (8 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote

#11 rr032

rr032

New Poster!

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

? agree with a lot of the posts, my old desktop with XP is a better machine than my laptop with win 7. Sure the laptop is quicker , bit like the "sports car" you would take out on the weekend , while the family car that's used all week will remain the old desktop.

#12 jayesstee

jayesstee

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yep, you guys got it right - Win 7 will be the next XP and Win 8 will be the next Vista!
      It seems to me that Microsoft only get anywhere near to an acceptable OS, is after a dog of one. Remember ME before XP?
      Somebody please explain to Microsoft that what real users want is a lightweight, fully controllable OS that only acts as interface between the hardware (which shouldn't have to get bigger and more powerful), the application and the user.
      Why don't they have two OSs, one for real users and one (like WIN 8 appears to be) for uninterested, un-knowledgeable, incapable tablet and similar users. Haven't they realized that most major organizations (like auto manufacturers) have a range of products to meet the needs of their Customers? And I don't mean "Home Premium", "Professional" or "Ultimate". In auto terms, they are just levels of trim.

#13 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 181 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

good ones rr032 and jayesstee...

I caught myself thinking earlier today about the Coke experiment with new Coke. Then I realized something. We don't really have Coke or Pepsi with OSs. After I realized it, I almost slapped myself down for trying to make the comparison with the various carcasses of Windows and the soft drinks.

It's like the ghost of Bill is still there inventing things that aren't any good that he knows people will buy. OK, that's below the belt (?).

Coca-Cola has their formula and they haven't changed it. Pepsi has their formula and they haven't changed it. I think it's time for MS to come up with their formula (OS) and just sell it. Must scare the hell out of them to believe they won't be able to write another decent or less OS program...

LOL

#14 BigB

BigB

Advanced Member!

• Advanced Member
        • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

FutureShock has the best analogy so far. I have always returned to Windows after trying various other OSs (Linux, BSD, Solaris, ReactOS. AmigaOS can come back anytime it wants though!) I remember "New Coke" and didn't like it at all and as for Pepsi... :negative:

#15 dstrout

dstrout

Gold Poster!

• Developer
          • 50 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

As I see it, with Windows 8, Microsoft is making a choice about the audience it wants to cater to. The new simple design of Windows 8 is just that - simple. It is made for two kinds of people: those with tablets who want an interface that's easy to use for touch devices, and those who are not very good with computers. As it stands, with tablets coming in to their own, the first audience is a no-brainer.

As for the second audience, that is where the trouble comes in. Who right now is using computers? Most computer users aren't particularly tech-savvy. I think of my mom. I was responsible for setting up her new laptop, and what did I do? I created 4 or 5 big icons on the desktop for the main things she would want to use her computer for. She likes it. I would hate it, since I use my computer for more things. But a lot of Microsoft's audience right now are people like my mom, who just want to have simple options in front of them when they start their computers.

Microsoft, I think, does not want to split their brand. In a perfect (for me) world, they would create three versions of Windows: Windows Tablet 8, Windows Professional 8, and Windows Home 8. The first is easy enough to figure out. The second would be for those of us who use their computers for more advanced stuff. The third could also be called Windows Easy 8 (but of course would never be), and would have a simplistic interface, possibly have basic Office-like software built in (perhaps sans Excel and the more pro tools), and be for people who want to turn on their computer, do some web browsing, email, and photo editing, and be done.

The world is not perfect, and thus Microsoft is unlikely to take my suggestion. As it is right now, Microsoft is building Windows 8 for the "least common denominator" - average Joe computer user who doesn't know much about computers and wants easy options right in front of him. Windows 7 was released several years ago, and presumably Windows 8 will have a successor several years after it is released. At that point, one or both of two things will happen. Either (1), nobody will like the new interface of Windows 8, and MS will return to the classic interface of the likes of Win 7 and XP, or (2), there will be enough of a rise in those who know a flash drive from a floppy drive that MS will feel comfortable making an OS that caters more to that kind of audience.

For now, Microsoft is a for-profit company that just wants to make money. Right now, they think that can best be accomplished by releasing an OS that will be easy to use for everyone, including us. (We might just find it a little too easy) Microsoft will always seek to make money. If we don't like that they accomplish that with a simplistic OS, we can just hope that they will think it easier to make money by releasing a Windows 9 that caters more to an audience with more computer smarts.

I'm a website developer from NH. Check out my site at dstrout.net!

#16 marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
            • 25,899 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Loving the replies here guys, although I am still trying to get round to getting the updates done but can't stop reading these responses!.

Windows won't loose the battle anytime soon to Linux or any of it's distros, users will challenge and resist certain changes but in the end we'll end up going with them anyway .. either that or we'll await a fab freeware add-on which will turn things back to a more familiar W7/Vista/XP look :crazy:
              Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              Updated Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

#17 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 741 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

FutureShock,,buddy,,I'm remember "New Coke" very very well, it was made with less carbonation than "Old Coke".
                You know,,less fizz so you can drink it down fast,,without the gas.
                In other words it was "Flat"'!!!! Just like Windows 8 is liable to fall "Flat"!!!!

#18 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 181 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hey Clow as in clown. Very funny joking my friend.

Seriously, yes flat it is this how you say Vindows 8. Is for girls claus...

#19 rowal5555

rowal5555

New Poster!

• Members
                  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Well, I just like new stuff. LOL
                    I got Win 7 trial on the first day of its release and have used it ever since. I still have Win 8 Developer Preview running on my desktop at home and that will change when I get home this week, but have installed CP on a laptop which I use every day.
                    I'm not going to say I like everything about Win8, especially the Metro UI, but am impressed by the new Task Manager and quite like the new ribbon.
                    Pay money for it next January? - probably not, but will keep playing with it in the meantime. There are a lot of little things that I do like.
                    Cheers

#20 James Van Damme

James Van Damme

New Poster!

• Members
                    • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

You have to pay the Microsoft tax when you get a new computer, but you don't have to use it. My current favorite is LinuxMint 12 with the Cinnamon desktop, clean and easy like XP, but without the viruses.

Edited by James Van Damme, 13 March 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Back to Polling Place Next Unread Topic ?