"); //]]>
");

Have you thought about leaving your computer passwords in a will?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
"); //]]>

Poll: Do you have password and access details in your will or somewhere safe? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have password and access details in your will or somewhere safe?

1. Yes, they are written firmly in my will (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes, I have all the details written down and my family know where those details are (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. Yes, I have all the details written down but they are hidden away somewhere (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. No, I've never actually thought about it, but I will now! (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

5. No, I had thought about it, but I only use my computer for browsing the net and nothing of great importance (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. No, but my family members already know all my passwords anyway (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Administrators
  • 12,285 posts
    Something which I've not given a great deal of thought to myself, is the fact that someday we will leave our computers for good and depending on how exactly we use them it could prove difficult for family members to access important data without the correct passwords.

I, myself, perform most financial and billing duties online and I'm now beginning to think seriously about having this information either printed and stored somewhere safe or included in my will.

Question is, have you thought about this yet or is the information you have on the computer not that important to warrent such a consideration?.
    Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 1,346 posts
      Sometimes it feels like I'm becoming part of the computer,,if so then I will not really pass away.Lol.Seriously though,yes I have my passwords already written down and put in a safe place.

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 271 posts
        Well i'm broke so no bank account info from the Cayman Islands and nothing on my pc important enough to include in a will so,nope.

They will prob wipe the drive and install what they want anyway if i go..lol

Then again, they'll donate this old POS to a museum

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 1,346 posts
          Right next to mine Grem,,they will both be under the heading, "Would you believe...." !!!!

Wolf

Wolf

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 21 posts
            I have no kids. Not that I know of.
            My wife and I share the same password vault that resides (encrypted) in a "DropBox".

BigB

BigB

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 60 posts
              I was thinking about this the other night just before bed as usual. Why do niggling questions always float around in my mind when I'm about to drift off?
              I have nothing that is ultra top secret that anybody needs to know about. The bank account is a joint one so no worries there. That just leaves my internet forums some of which will probably be gone or forgotten about.
              I'm changing all my passwords to "incorrect" so that when I forget the computer will remind me lol.

dstrout

dstrout

Gold Poster!

• Developer
              • 54 posts
                All my passwords are stored in a KeePass database. I don't really have any important passwords yet other than the one to my bank account, but that's a sub-account on my mom's account, so no worries there.

Still, its something that I have thought about. Not just passwords, but as the owner of several sites, what would happen to them all if I were hit by a car and killed tomorrow? None of my family could manage them. They would just die, I suppose.
                I'm a website developer from NH. Check out my site at dstrout.net!

GrayD

GrayD

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 10 posts
                  Wow, what a great thing tp remember! Thank-you!

mizdoc

mizdoc

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 12 posts
                    Nope.I never save anything personal on the web, so for the sites I do use a password on, who cares?Nobody needs them anyway.I'll just fade awaaayyy. :bye:

Ralph C.

Ralph C.

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 27 posts
                      My wife and I save all of our passwords and log-in details, and other important stuff in an Excel spreadsheet, protected with a complex password.Each of us have the same copy on our own laptops, and when either of us makes a change or addition, we highlight it in yellow and re-save.Then once a month I combine the 2 files into one making all of the changes to have one new file that is, at least for a while, up to date and the same on both machines.Both of our adult kids know the master password and can use the file when ever they need to.They both have Power of Attorney for both of us so, to say we trust them, is an understatement.It is my understanding that an Excel spreadsheet that is password protected is almost impossible to crack.I hope that I am correct in this.If not, I will have to find another method, but to date this works well for us.