"); //]]>
");

What Freeware Has Improved Your PC Most?

16 replies to this topic

#1 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

If it's a combination of them that's good.I use Wakeonstandy for reliable scheduling with a couple of freewares, namely CCleaner and FBackup, so it would make sense to count more than one sometimes I guess.

I'm not sure, so I'll wait to see what you guys have to say

#2 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Alright FS,,I'm glad to be back my buddy. Now to answer your question,,I would say it's a combination of Ccleaner and Glarysoft Utilities, alternating between the two, and Auslogics Disk Defrag. These have really helped my old pc run alot smoother. Sometimes I may need to enlist the help of other freeware,,but these are my "base freeware tools".

#3 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 403 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hey, Claw glad you are back.The in-laws...kind of like huntin' gators...dangerous business.

CCleaner is one of mine, too.One of the ones that started my freeware quest for a reliable and smooth running, fully useful system.Couldn't do it without it I admit...

#4 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

FS everything on my pc is freeware,except MS Office which I was given as a gift. By the way,,with my wife having surgery this past Thursday,,the in-laws are back helping out. Did I say helping out????
          There are some things that you may need that's shareware,,but for the most part"Freeware Rules" !!!!

#5 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 403 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

Well you had some good practice with the last visit...

Here's to a speedy recovery for your wife amigo...

The only pay wares I have are MS Office 2007, MS Works 7.0, Dragon Naturally Speaking 10, MagicIso/MagicDisc, Fraps, Free Sound Recorder (Not free), Intervideo DVD player, and games.

I think I have somewhere around 80 freewares installed and around 100 installers

#6 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thanks buddy,,I'm 54 yrs. old my wife is 43 ( looks like 30) everything should be ok.
              Now,,for the average user,,the one that just does enough on their pc to be happy,,freeware if checked out and followed on a site like FreewareBB,,should be able to do alright with a variety of simple freeware tools. On a site like FreewareBB,,you can find freeware for entertainment,,for improving system resources, security,busness and just about any other part of using a computer.
              Actually, there sometimes,,just sometimes is really no need for pay versions when the freeware version is just as good.

#7 jjj

jjj

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 97 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I can't really say, everything we now use is freeware.

#8 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 403 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Hey jjj

I just realized I should have asked the question in another way."Which freeware has improved the usefulness of your PC the most to you?"... :scratch_one-s_head:

Very true.

Do some of them have an extra punch to them though?I've seen some amazing ones that I don't even have just because I don't think I would use them.There's a full scale movie maker Lightworks or something says it was the main software for Pulp Fiction and some others.I don't have anything like that other than office suites, but I still have alot of stellar offerings.

When I pick freewares, I usually look for really light utilities...light on resources but also on disk space.The portables and <5 MB, those are the ones I seem to get the most out of...but the one that has improved the usefulness of my PC to me the most, that's tough.

#9 FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                  • 403 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

OK I will make a go of this.I am going to say the last two main ones I have added GBoost and 3DTop.

The combination of the two has my system humming along like a BMW.Wish it was a Ferarri or Lamboghini, but I will take a BMW considering what it was before.I don't understand why 3DTop helps the system run so smooth, but I'm not complaining...

I could easily have said CCleaner which was one of the first ones for me.Also could have been AUSLogics Defrag, although it's more recent.It's just such a smooth and fast program, AUSL.Both those two are part of my hall of fame I guess.Dexpot might be in that list for me, too.Had it installed but never used it until I added 3DTop.Now I use 3DTop on a 2nd desktop in Dexpot.Working well, and I am using the h3ll out of that 2nd desktop already.It's my pure speed setup for the net and games...

#10 Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                    • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hey FS, a friend sent me 3Dtop,,I gladyou like it. When I first saw what it does ,,I thought of you. Another one he told me about is a web browser called "browzar",,when you dowload it just save it to your desktop,,click open ,,and there it is. When you are finished just close it and a box comes up and deletes all cookies and web traces,,it's really cool and it is not installed,,so no lose of disk space,because it is only 222k in size. Maybe it might make FreewareBB one day.

http://www.browzar.com/