User Poll: Your images belong to us now .. right or wrong?

Whether you are an amateur photographer or simply enjoy sharing photo's of your family on Facebook, your uploaded photographs will soon be available for anyone to copy and use in whatever way they want, even for profit, unless you pay to have them registered and protected!.
You can VOTE and discuss here

"); //]]>
Photo

Is Comodo as Good as Avast?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 819 posts
    Morning everyone:
    Attempting to research firewalls last night I ran into some difficulty finding information. Seems that information on firewall functionality and implementation strategy is lagging far behind that of anti-virus, especially in the area of freeware firewalls.

That in mind, the questions is: Is Comodo as good a firewall program as Avast is an anti-virus program? Further I'd like to know if anyone can make a comparison between any of the free firewalls and Avast or another top anti-virus when it comes to detection and prevention of attack. When there is a danger with Avast, the program makes sure you know that there is a threat. Are any of the firewall programs as effective at informing a user of a "real" threat?

Also, Avast is a program any beginner can use more or less. Is there a firewall that out of the install compares with the effectiveness of Avast or of any of the other top anti-virus programs?

Avast is a very good program. The developers have found a way to mesh effectiveness into an interface that is simple enough that anyone can use it. I'd like to see the same thing from a firewall, but the only one I have tried so far is Comodo, and it was too heavy to run and too difficult to set up for me. That was a while back, but the memory lingers...

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
      • 12,586 posts
        Not sure it's possible to compare the two programs, each do a specific and separate job, all be it they both offer to harden security, but still in different ways and for different purposes. I'd recommend giving TinyWall a hurl, it's easy to install and takes virtually no setting up at all :)
          You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
          New Freeware on the site
          Updated Freeware on the site
          RSS Subscribe
          Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
          • 1,550 posts
            Kinda agree with marko, I can compare Avast with MSE, since both with send me threat alerts at just about equal proportions, but as of a firewall you should try TinyWall and see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help buddy.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
              • 819 posts
                Although Tiny might run on XP, it is made for Vista and 7. With the XP firewall weaker than those two, I think using Tiny, if I could, would leave a hole in the security, something I'd like to avoid.

I left a message with the developer to see if he has plans to develop a version for XP. I guess it would kind of be a surprise to me if he ever did, considering it looks like protecting Vista and 7 is what he was trying to do in the first place..or I guess it would have to be named something other than Tiny...

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
                  • Guests
                  This is why I reckon the majority of 3rd party firewalls are more trouble than they are worth: they are not designed to identify malicious processes so cannot differentiate between what is benign and what is malicious - so they report everything and rely solely on the end user to decide. They are often difficult to configure, and if not configured correctly tend to interfere with normal (safe) operations. If/when they do report anything malicious it's because the machine is already infected. Yes, it can help prevent certain types of malware from phoning home and doing more damage BUT, in my opinion, it's a far better plan to prevent the infection in the first place rather than deal with it after the fact.

Not saying that 3rd party firewalls are totally useless, just that the negatives often outweigh any positives. TinyWall is a rare exception because it is not actually a separate firewall but enhances the firewall already built in to Windows. Ergo, it is light on resources, requires minimal configuration and never issues popup messages asking the user what to do.

There are far better products than firewalls for augmenting security. In your case FS, where TinyWall is not available, you'd be better off looking at something like Threatfire or Winpatrol.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                    • 1,550 posts
                      May be not in the same league, but System Security Guard has warned me on two infected files that I didn't know about. One was as I was downloading the software,,,the warning came up, and I stopped there and got rid of that baby,,,,,,,,quick !!!!

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                        • 819 posts
                          You hit the nail on the head Jim. When I saw what you had to say about TW being updated, I was set to download it. That's when I noticed the system requirements.

Not that I am looking into a firewall, but I will take a look at these you guys have recommended. I would have hooked up Tiny in a hurry though...

Seriously, you guys have to update us on its performance. Has to be the find of the month, maybe even the year so far (I'd have to think it through on that one)...

Thanks for the advice guys...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                            • 1,550 posts
                              Yea, same boat as you FS. I jumped at it but using XP, that wasn't possible. It's not the developers fault that I'm just someone that doesn't have the funds.( 4 kids, a wife and only part - time recovery work), but hey who am I to complain ?( shut-up FS ). LOL, LOL !!!! :rofl: :rofl:

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                                • 819 posts
                                  I'm in a perpetual state of mourning right now, Claw. Did you see the features on that bad boy and it's all set and forget.

The worst part is that I have figured out why firewalls aren't as studied or understood as much as A-V/M-W. Turns out XPs firewall is very weak and not at all like the ones in Vista or 7. They just aren't the same, basically. I didn't realize there was so much difference until now.

As TinyWall makes the rounds, hopefully this fact will be discovered by a developer somewhere, so we can get something similar for XP, but I think it will take a miracle. Hard to imagine anyone writing anything as good as TW for XP anymore. Just have to keep our fingers crossed... :sorry:

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                                    • 1,550 posts
                                      Being that Mirosoft has all but threw dirt and planted daisies on XP, I don't think a miracle will happen this time FS.