FreewareBB Giveaway: Phone Trans Pro

iMobie has most generously donated 10 free licenses for Phone Trans Pro for us to giveaway to our members...
PhoneTrans Pro is the ultimate solution to transfer iPhone, iPad, iPod touch music and movies to/from computer, iTunes library or between iOS devices. READ MORE

"); //]]>
");

Spotlight: Mark Straver (aka Moonchild) of Pale Moon

pale moon palemoon

7 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,244 posts
    Q: Your real name:
    Mark Straver

Q: Also known as:
    Moonchild, MC, Wolfbeast

Q: How old are you?

Q: Your freeware software:
    Oh, a bunch. Pale Moon, Pale Moon migration tool, Pale Moon backup tool, Address Flipper, RPG Dice helper, and a number of other small misc tools

Q: Your website:
    http://www.moonchildproductions.info

Q: When did you start developing freeware?
    1995 or so

Q: Why did you start developing freeware?
    Why not? A bit of a strange question, to be fair. Most of the freeware I've made is to improve upon things and to provide help to users. A lot of it was born from things I personally wanted to streamline or improve, and I think there's no reason why I shouldn't make this available to others as well, in the hope it is useful to them. Not everything needs to bring in revenue, there's already enough greed on this little planet.

Q: Is it a career, or just for fun?
    It's certainly becoming a career.

Q: What's the most difficult project/development you've done?
    Hmm, I'd have to say some of the stuff I've done as part of my academic education. That's been a long time ago though - so as for recent projects/developments, the most involved is the Pale Moon browser.

Q: Please tell us a little about yourself:
    I was born in Roosendaal, the Netherlands, in 1971, and I've lived in a good number of different locations in the world, ranging from the USA and different places in Europe to Australia. I currently reside in Sweden. I've followed a professional Master's level education in Laboratory Informatics and Automation, and it may come as no surprise that as a result I have in-depth knowledge of computers, computer systems, networks and programming. The other side of me is a very creative one: drawing, sketching, colouring, shading - in traditional media as well as digital - makes up a good part of my legacy. In this same creative field is my current occupation as professional translator, it being mostly creative work (writing) - although of course the technical background of the education helps tremendously for technical manuals and similar texts. You could say I'm very multi-faceted, and at home in many disciplines. My focus is slowly shifting back towards IT, though, since that is where my passion really lies, and if I can make a career in it, I'll certainly not let the opportunity pass me by.

Q: What would you consider to be your major accomplishments to date?
    Having traveled a full circle around the globe. The obvious growing success of Pale Moon. Surviving in a rather unforgiving modern society ;)

Q: Any failures you\'d care to tell us about?
    I fail at learning to speak Swedish ;) It's one odd language to try and learn!

Q: What advice would you give to someone starting out in developing/programming?
    A few very important things: - Keep things structured and clearly named/commented. If you don't, debugging and finding issues in your code becomes almost impossible. - Don't try to cut corners! - Don't give in to greed. Only consider making commercial products if and when you think you can make a polished product. Don't be afraid to give something to the community before you want to take something from it.

Q: What websites do you visit to relax?
    The odd flash gaming site for a few lost minutes, otherwise I tend to relax off the PC or 'net, watching movies, maybe playing a game.

Q: Do you have any particular plans for your freeware in the future?
    Nothing particular apart from enhancing and continuing to support it

Q: What's your favorite book, movie, tv show, game, and food?
    Book: Stephen King/Peter Straub's "The Talisman"
    Movie: I don't have one single favorite - I like many!
    TV show: Haven't watched TV in many years
    Game: Titan Quest and similar action RPGs Food: Horse tenderloin

Please remember that we have people from many different timezones on the site and if your post requires a reply it could take longer at some at some points because of this.

Forums
    New Freeware on the site
    Updated Freeware on the site
    RSS Subscribe
    Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
    • 1,126 posts
      I would like to thank Mr. Straver for giving one of the best and open Q & A sessions I have ever read. It's nice in these times of seeing so many developers sell out on the user for a quick payout, to meet someone like you. Mr. Stravers answer on why he started developing freeware, was,,"Why not"?? Sir, that was one of the most straightforward answers I have ever seen.
      I appreciate what you are doing of the users,, we need more men of your caliber. BTW, your Moonchild homepage design in my opinion is excellent. I also like your choice monikers and aliases.
      Mr. Straver,,you are a rare man of vision, in a very dim world. Thank you. :good: :good:

JoninOz

JoninOz

Gold Poster!

• Advanced Member
      • 60 posts
        I wish to 'tip my hat' to Mr. Straver for a fully informative insight into his life. Thanks to marko, Claw and FutureShock I loaded PaleMoon a few days ago and must say that I am enjoying PaleMoon as my default browser. It is appealling, clean, friendly, un-cluttered, and the linked icons are are a great benefit.
        When one uses other browsers, the impatience becomes over-powering with iGoogle & Telstra whilst they decide to fill the page with
        dozens of links to here, there and everywhere.....I want what I want to research..........there is enough waffle to wade through on a daily basis on the 'Net' without the garbage 'in my face'!
        PaleMoon.......I love a full moon......a clean, exposed face.

Thank you to all concerned......

JoninOz.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
        • 1,126 posts
          Hi JoninOz, believe it or not, I actually uninstalled Palemoon, but that only lasted 4 days. I realized just what benefits I had with Palemoon and reinstalled and never looked back.
          I agree 100% with all the reasons you stated that makes Palemoon a great browser. You are very welcome, I'm glad I had a hand in helping you decide.

kestrel

kestrel

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
          • 11 posts
            I have been hearing about Pale Moon but thought it just another clone.
            Based on what I have read recently, I think I will give it a try.
            Thanks for the boot to get me off dead center.
            K

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
            • 1,126 posts
              K, if I didn't think or had any doubt about Palemoon, you as well as anyone should know, I would never suggest it. To each his own, but I'm really pleased with it. I'm on it now. You know we've been around other places, you should know I wouldn't steer you wrong,,,,not intentually.

kestrel

kestrel

Advanced Poster!

• Advanced Member
              • 11 posts
                I do not doubt you. My previous information about Pale Moon was from the typical Internet "know-it-alls".
                Based on your recommendation and the interview, I will install it this evening.
                Thanks
                K

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Advanced Member
                • 1,126 posts
                  Always good to help an old aquiantance. If for some reason you don't like it, please K, let us know, but I really, really like it.

Your old buddy,

Claw

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)