User Poll: Do you change your password(s) regularly?

Do you change your password(s) regularly as a safety precaution, or like many other people, do you enter a password only once and stick with it throughout the years online?
You can VOTE and discuss here

"); //]]>
Photo

Verified Membership on FreewareBB

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,606 posts

In light of the recent spam and hack attempts on FreewareBB, we are now changing the way membership works on FreewareBB. Anyone in the members group will now be moderated and will also have restrictions placed on their account in relation to not being able to edit their profiles or add a signature to their account. Firstly, by moderating everyone in this way, it means no spam will get on the site and anyone who attempts to spam us will face an instant ban before anyone even get's to see their post!. Secondly, by disallowing members edit access to their profiles, this means they cannot place spam links in there and the same applies to their signatures throughout the board!.

We now have a "verified member" group withunmoderatedaccess,whichis allowed to add signatures and edit their profiles. Additionally, all advertisements are removed from the view of those in the "verified member" group.

What about existing members?

Well, this is the unfortunate situation. We have over 4,000 members on the site, all of who previously had the ability to post spam links in their profiles and cost us even more rep on the search engines, so essentially, we've moved everyone back into the "members" group and those who wish to continue participating and posting on the site unmoderated, will have to go through the verification process by subscribing to become a Verified Member.

We hope the many genuine and trustworthy members will join us once again after verification.

Kind Regards

Marko & The FreewareBB Team

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

dvs

dvs

New Poster!

• Members
      • 1 posts

Freeware isn't "Freeware" unless it's free!!!

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
          • 12,606 posts

dvs, I'm not charging for freeware, all our freeware can still be downloaded without restriction - you only need to pay $1 per year if you want the ability to post, unmoderated, in our forums and edit your profile on our site ... if people can't stomach to pay $1 per year to support me in managing the safest and most pro-active freeware download site on the net, then fair enough, I'm not asking anyone to pay for freeware, I'm asking them to pay to support me, get ad's removed from their view and to understand that it also removes the ability for spammers to register and take over our site - not too much to ask I don't think :scratch_one-s_head:

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
              New Freeware on the site
              Updated Freeware on the site
              RSS Subscribe
              Report bad freeware here

John T

John T

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
              • 43 posts

Glad to see you back!

As far as I am concerned, that was 1 euro well spent.

Keep up the good work.

John

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                  • 212 posts

Welcome back marko. At ?1, it's a bargain and I am already saving up!

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
                      • Guests

I think it's a brilliant concept, simply because it just hits the spammers right on the head with a minimum of effort. Spammers and spamming are the bane of site admin, I know that over at DCT it is nigh on a full time job trying to keep the scumbags at bay. It is nothing to have to fend off up to 2 and 3 hundred spamming attempts per day.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to make nominal fees a compulsory part of membership/registration on ALL sites. Users would still be able to visit and browse around sites for free but the ability to post comments and interact generally would be barred until registration and payment of a nominal fee were completed.

If all site owners complied, this one simple act would put a severe dent in the massive spam problem. It would also make users more discerning about which sites they choose to register for, disadvantaging all the shoddy sites out there and allowing the cream to rise to the top.

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                        • 212 posts
                          Welcome back marko. At ?1, it's a bargain and I am already saving up!

OK, I saved up and now I'm a Very-Fried Member!

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

google

google

Gold Poster!

• Administrators
                            • 82 posts

Its great how those people who have never posted or contributed before come out the woodwork to preach the moral high-ground and NOT support freewarebb in any way shape or form (looking at you dvs). Behind you all the way marko.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Please read The Rules.....

Don't make me send in Peter

Posted Image

JoninOz

JoninOz

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                                • 303 posts

A great idea marko, and I would gladly pay any reasonable amount to protect good people from the hienous scumbags who continuously troll the internet, with the sole purpose of trashing the efforts of hard-working people.

(I bet if dvs were given an expensive new vehicle, he would complain about paying the insurance premium.)

Kind regards and Best Wishes for the Season to all good members and team at FreewareBB.

JoninOz & family.

John T

John T

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
                                    • 43 posts

Jayesstee,

Teach me how to save up so fast!