User Poll: Do you change your password(s) regularly?

Do you change your password(s) regularly as a safety precaution, or like many other people, do you enter a password only once and stick with it throughout the years online?
You can VOTE and discuss here

"); //]]>
Photo

Are mobile devices causing too many distractions for younger people?

16 replies to this topic

"); //]]>

Poll: Are mobile devices causing too many distractions for younger people? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Are mobile devices causing too many distractions for younger people?

1. Voted Yes, particularly when concerning young drivers, but generally the younger generation are growing up constantly glued to their phones/computers (10 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Yes but I don't think it's really as bad as we think (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, I don't really think the younger generation have an issue with being distracted, they seem to get on fine (0 votes [0.00%])

4. No, it's just we can't do it so assume the younger generation can't do it either (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,606 posts

Recently, I watched a documentary about young people driving, and in particular it focused on the rising issue of them using their phones whilst driving.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have given the matter much thought but apparently the problem is becoming that big, insurance companies are trying to introduce devices that stop smartphones working whilst a car is in motion!!.

Some car manufacturers are even building docking devices for popular makes of phones that can read texts out aloud. In the states, hundreds of thousands of people are involved in accidents each year caused by distractions such as mobile devices and after watching the documentary I've noticed a few more myself on the road.

A few weeks back I actually, physically, took my daughters mobile phone from her because as she attempted to hold a conversation with me she became distracted with a facebook conversation with someone else - I found that rude and most certainly not the way she was brought up. She was told this, and told that if that happened again her phone would becordiallyplaced in the nearest bin!.

Question is, are the mobile devices proving to be too much of a tempting distraction to the younger generation or are we, as older people, just not moving with the times?.

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
      • 1,566 posts

This is an easy one for me marko. I know as of the beginning of 2013,,,, 5 teenagers that went to the high school near my home have been killed in accidents in cars, but 1 was actually killed while looking at his phone while crossing the street. So, you have my answer,, Yes it is a distraction.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
          • 845 posts

Voting with the crowd this time...

Got to seriously drive defensively these days it seems with all the cell phone users out and around.

JoninOz

JoninOz

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
              • 303 posts

Every day I see young drivers on the mobile phone, I see them in the shops with a phone stuck to one ear, or I see fingers flashing with writing text messages, they stop in the middle of a supermarket aisle to answer the phone with no regard to shoppers, and on many occassions they wander on to the zebra crossing without stopping, and I have witnessed them being hit by a vehicle.

Add to this the age group of around 12 years old, generally a gaggle of girls, each with a mobile phone worth around $600.00.

I believe, Marko, that we older folk move with the times, especially those who frquently visit 'techie' sites, but the current young generation 'must have' the latest devices for phone and music, irrespective of the cost, and who knows where all the $$$$$$$ comes from.

Definately a distraction when driving, and the punishment should be much more serious than it is now.

Edited by JoninOz, 11 April 2013 - 12:09 AM.

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                  • 212 posts

It's not just youngsters! The 40+ year old mums pour out of the supermarket with a clutch of kids (1, 2 or 3), mobile in one hand, fingers and thumb of the other hand pounding on the screen. They pause to finger the car remote, sit texting until the kids start to complain/play-up, then drive off to resume texting when out on the main road. It frightens me, playing a form of Russian Roulette with there most precious cargo in the passenger seats.

Edited by jayesstee, 11 April 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                      • 12,606 posts

I'm with you on that one jayesstee - what cracks me up tenfold too are those cars that speed past us parts of the motorways here in the UK with "baby on board" or "little person on board" stickers in their back windows ... probably just better off with a "might not see 1st birthday" sticker or "dad/mum is a twat" sticker :)

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
                          New Freeware on the site
                          RSS Subscribe
                          Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                          • 1,566 posts

I like the "twat" comment marko, I need to use that word more often.

google

google

Gold Poster!

• Administrators
                              • 82 posts

Can't really say if it's just the young one's who are to blame, but I know I see more and more people of all ages now on the roads using their mobiles, kinda figures really when we can do virtually anything on them now, they start spilling over into other area's of our lives like driving, working, walking, talking, and so on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Please read The Rules.....

Don't make me send in Peter

Posted Image

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
                                  • 12,606 posts

The text that killed University of Northern Colorado student, Alexander Heit (22) 10 days ago ... he didn't manage to finish his text message, as he drifted into oncoming traffic and swerved violently then rolled his car andtragically died shortly after ... the ultimate cost of today's obsession for mobile devices ...

_66963411_text_ap.jpg

Forums
                                      New Freeware on the site
                                      RSS Subscribe
                                      Report bad freeware here

google

google

Gold Poster!

• Administrators
                                      • 82 posts

The text that killed University of Northern Colorado student, Alexander Heit (22) 10 days ago ... he didn't manage to finish his text message, as he drifted into oncoming traffic and swerved violently then rolled his car andtragically died shortly after ... the ultimate cost of today's obsession for mobile devices ...

attachicon.gif_66963411_text_ap.jpg

Tragic, and so preventable

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          Please read The Rules.....

Don't make me send in Peter

Posted Image