User Poll: Illegal downloaders - infect them?!

Do you think it would be fair to infect a computer suspected of download illegally?
You can VOTE and discuss here

"); //]]>
Photo

US a step closer to CISPA !!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,615 posts

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) has just recently been approved by the US House of Representatives.

This doesn't mean it's law just yet, but it's certainly a step closer to becoming such - as for the next stages of the Act, even I'm unsure about it, but I believe in the US "The Senate" has to pass it before it can be enforced or come into force.

So, what exactly is CISPA and why all the fuss?.   Well, even I wondered what the fuss was about, until I actually delved into the fine details of the Act ... here's Electronic Frontier Foundation's, Mark Jaycox, explaining some of the consequences of cispa ...

• Companies have new rights to monitor user actions and share data ? including potentially sensitive user data ? with the government without a warrant.
    • Cispa overrides existing privacy law, and grants broad immunities to participating companies.
    • Information provided to the federal government under Cispa would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and other state laws that could otherwise require disclosure (unless some law other than Cispa already requires its provision to the government).
    • Cispa's authors argue that the bill contains limitations on how the federal government can use and disclose information by permitting lawsuits against the government. But if a company sends information about a user that is not cyberthreat information, the government agency does not notify the user, only the company.

Essentially, this means any company in the US could monitor you online, and if they think the government should know about something they can pass on your details and activities and all the while you'll know absolutely nothing about the situation and in reality, you'll never know any information about you was passed to the government or monitored.   Basically, it would appear you can just be randomly monitored and although I'm certain there will most likely be a "protocol" drawn up stating that individuals should only really be monitored if there are grounds to do so, Cispa potentially makes it impossible for anyone to be prosecuted for sifting through your data or monitoring your actions randomly!.

It would appear that if this bill get's through, gone are the days of "due cause" or "suspicion" and then "investigation" but it will more likely turn into "investigation" and then "due cause" or "suspicion"  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
      • 1,576 posts

Marko, this clown that we have for a President is a joke.One minute he releases the prisoners that were involved in the 911 attacks, then wants us to "embrace" their beliefs and understand their frustration with the US, then he wants to ban law abiding people from having guns leaving us defenseless against the criminals (like they go and legally buy guns), now any organization such as this gets all his approval and go-ahead to be pushed through the right sectors so that this kind of crap can become law. Trust me, a good friend of mine is a Representative in Louisiana where I use to live and he is ready to jump off a cliff with all the junk that is coming our way, all with the Commander-in-Chiefs' blessing.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
          • 854 posts

Funny how it works with the Senate here in the U.S.  The Republicans won't listen to anything but full truth, and the Democrats just lie and misrepresent the truth to make Republicans look bad.  Obviously, the Republicans aren't going to pay any attention to anything the Democrats have to say but then the Republicans contribute no ideas themselves.  Wow, so it's left up to the Senate.  

This isn't a U.S. problem imo.  It's an international one.  Better for the internet equipped countries to band together to involve some organization like Interpol using some cooked up security company to monitor for illegal activity (corporate e-spying and national security issues), and then let the governments who choose to monitor the Interpol 

(or whatever it is that they choose to set up) data and do what they can for themselves without any help from companies.

Companies and governments working together...sounds like a recipe for trouble to me...

Edited by FutureShock, 19 April 2013 - 03:42 AM.

google

google

Gold Poster!

• Administrators
              • 83 posts

Claw, 9/11 and guns will take us off topic will only serve to fuel more unrelated comments.  Political frustrations can be understandable, but let's keep things on topic please :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Please read The Rules .....

Don't make me send in Peter

Posted Image

ablaze

ablaze

Gold Poster!

• Verified Member
                  • 51 posts

It was the same with SOPA, they are all trying their hardest to justify snooping online and as you rightly say marko, it used to be a case of suspicion then investigation but it appears they are looking for any reason now to "suspect" someone.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                      • 1,576 posts

No problem Mr. G, I don't debate politics, I was just trying to show marko a comparison on why things like the Senate feel spying on users is ok to be law. But just to make sure I don't cause a stir, I'll just remove myself from this topic. I'm not doing too bad, this is only the 2nd time that "you" told me I was off topic. Oh, and the Peter clip is hilarious, lol.  :rofl:

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                          • 1,576 posts

Hey marko you might like this bit of reading.

http://www.digitaltr...snag-your-data/

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                              • 854 posts

Wow Claw...good find.  That is a staggering amount of support...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                                  • 1,576 posts

Yea FS, a friend of mine who works in the local Government where I use to live in Louisiana sends me this stuff. I figure all these companies figure that somewhere down the line in a couple of months or so, there will be money to be made somewhere. You know how it is buddy, you live here and you know all the companies that are supporting this.

dish112

dish112

New Poster!

• Members
                                      • 7 posts

I hate to be the guy with the tinfoil hat but it's almost like the US is grasping at straws to try and stay a world power in a dynamic scenario. I mean, let's be honest, CISPA is BS in all senses that the government is basically making companies it's underdogs in attempting to shackle an international network of people by first attempting to shackle it's own share of the said users. I foresee very bad international repercussions if this goes through. Imagine the shot in the arm this dumb law would be to already authoritarian governments or for countries with very culturally backwards views who view the freedom of expression the internet brings as a threat to their ideologies. Narrow mindedness taking the wheel again.

Sigh, I hope the law doesn't get passed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users