User Poll: Could subscription based software work?

Could paying a monthly subscription for high-end, commercial software, be the solution to affording such a thing or is it simply the developers getting more money from those using their products?.
You can VOTE and discuss here

"); //]]>
Photo

User Poll: Could subscription based software work?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

"); //]]>

Poll: Could subscription based software work? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Could subscription based software work?

1. Yes, I believe many more people will be attracted towards a commercial title for a monthly fee (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. It is possible, but I don't think people will be flocking to pay a monthly fee when alternatives (free ones too) exist (11 votes [64.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

3. No, I think it's possible some people will stop using those products because eventually the user will pay more (5 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

4. Other (please specify in a reply) (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,592 posts

In times where money is in short supply and everyone is looking to cut down on how much money they put out, Adobe have announced that they are releasing their most popular software as "subscription" based, meaning you can now access their software on a monthly basis, rather than pay out the full cost of the software in one go.   Microsoft did a similar cloud-based/subscription model with Office 365 and Adobe say customers can access individual software titles from £18 if they agree to sign up for a full year (in other words, the cheapest title you can access from Adobe will cost you £216 per year, over five years you would have paid £1080 for it).

Paying for software, as such, isn't something those of us within the freeware world are used to, but it could be somewhat appealing to those who would otherwise be unable to purchase a well known, commercial title.

Thing is, for me, I don't really "get it" as such, because products like Adobe Photoshop, etc, are pretty much highly technical and would, presumably, attract professionals and not the average photo tinkerer, so I'm wondering would someone who performs the odd touch up or applies the odd effect to photo's pay a monthly subscription for the likes of Photoshop, especially when fantastic alternatives like The Gimp exist?.   I almost doubt it if I'm honest, so then I consider have Adobe called the bluff of the many thousands of professional's who use and rely on their software to continue using it and start paying a monthly fee indefinitely?.   Only time will tell if this works for them or not!!.

So, the question ladies and gentlemen is simply, could subscription based software work for the commercial sector?

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
      New Freeware on the site
      Updated Freeware on the site
      RSS Subscribe
      Report bad freeware here

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
      • 209 posts

I think medium to large organizations will welcome it.  The advantages for them would be known fixed future costs, and for instance, no more battles between the IT department and the "Bean Counters" about whether a (to be paid for) upgrade is vital/necessary/desirable.

Of course Joe Punter (and I particularly include myself) isn't going to be held to ransom over  upgrades (see all XP versus Win 8 discussions here and elsewhere.)

This will increase interest and use of freeware and (low cost) shareware.  FBB will become even more vital.

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

James Van Damme

James Van Damme

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
          • 31 posts

What's not to like? You know just how much it costs, you get the latest upgrades, and if you don't need it you just quit, and get it again when you do. Hopefully this will get the pirates to either pay up or go to free stuff. The professionals who absolutely need Photoshop will pay. The millions of others will not. Same goes for Windows when they go to subscription. As for me, I use Gimp and Linux because I need neither.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
              • 1,558 posts

I kind of agree with jayesstee, and I do think it will turn on a lot of organizations to freeware alternatives, and this is when freeware developers need to step up and really produce software that has an appeal to these organizations. Even is the developers have a free and LOW COST pay version, sites such as FBB will benefit from need of these organizations.

John T

John T

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
                  • 43 posts

I'm not so sure about this. It reminds me of the early days of video player/recorders whose purchase price was such that rental was the only way to achieve something that we thought we needed, but merely wanted.

This could work the same way and bring in extra users until the realisation of the cost of ownership and alternative to brand becomes evident.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                      • 828 posts

The advantages for them would be known fixed future costs, and for instance, no more battles between the IT department and the "Bean Counters" about whether a (to be paid for) upgrade is vital/necessary/desirable.

This will increase interest and use of freeware and (low cost) shareware.  FBB will become even more vital.

What's not to like? You know just how much it costs, you get the latest upgrades, and if you don't need it you just quit, and get it again when you do. Hopefully this will get the pirates to either pay up or go to free stuff. The professionals who absolutely need Photoshop will pay. The millions of others will not. Same goes for Windows when they go to subscription. As for me, I use Gimp and Linux because I need neither.

I kind of agree with jayesstee, and I do think it will turn on a lot of organizations to freeware alternatives, and this is when freeware developers need to step up and really produce software that has an appeal to these organizations. Even is the developers have a free and LOW COST pay version, sites such as FBB will benefit from need of these organizations.

I tend to agree with you guys.  You all made very good points.  Actually, I welcome the trend as long as the software measures up to the cost...and so long as excellent freeware is still available!  Guess we'll just have to work harder to make sure the great freeware options have a respectable download home... :good:

JVD...I agree with your point about the updates.  That implies better service, too, I guess, but I will throw it out there anyway...

jayesstee...great point about the fixed cost issue and reduced IT red tape and "baffles"...

marko...gotta say, these prices are through the roof here.  That's the one thing that has me second guessing this approach.  Adobe has been good to PC users with free Acrobat and Flash Player and Shockwave, etc.  I don't mind them succeeding, just hope their product measures up to this huge price...

Thanks to marko for another excellent discussion

Edited by FutureShock, 07 May 2013 - 11:11 PM.

innkeeper

innkeeper

New Poster!

• Members
                          • 7 posts

What it boils down to will the monthly fee be less or equal over time than the cost of buying the software outright or will the concept be enough to turn people away from the product.

Microsoft is doing it it with office 2013 ( cloud version). Personally i would rather pay the price which should include updates until the next version but then I am not a business. Which brings up the point of how many licences will a monthly payment version include.

JoninOz

JoninOz

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
                              • 293 posts

Very good points brought to light gentlemen.

I think that before jumping in with both feet to pay a monthly subscription, it would be wise to stop and consider how much use would the user need for the software, and for any amateur phtographer, me included, would find Gimp suffices for all needs in photo editing, and, Gimp is much easier to use than Photoshop, (been there , done that).

I guess the basis of this situation is freeware vs. payware, and comes to mind, Ashampoo, basic, simple and a range of free programs to suit the needs of the 'not -so -experienced' users. If the needs grow, then pay for a pro version, which applies to good freeware programs to cover most requirements, here at FBB.

For a professional individual, or a company I believe the monthly fee is a good idea (JST, & others re - fixed cost :good: ) which is similar to the photo-copiers, computers, TV's, vehicle requirements et al, of a company, lease or buy  ...?

Thanks guys, for an interesting discussion.

Jon in Oz

Mongoplus

Mongoplus

Advanced Member!

• Members
                                  • 30 posts

I am a die-hard freeware user.  If there is a piece of commercial software, there will be a freeware equivalent on the market and in most incident it will be better.  I may take some looking, but with all the search engines on the internet these freeware programs can be found, but try this site first (They have a great selection of freeware and keep it up to date.

Take care and keep FREEWARE Flowing!!!

Mongoplus

I am always on a quest to quench my thirst for knowledge!!!

James Van Damme

James Van Damme

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
                                      • 31 posts

Take care and keep FREEWARE Flowing!!!

There's freeware, and there's free and open source (FOSS). Freeware is free as in free beer; FOSS is also free as in free speech. the distinction is a long story; but FOSS is always the safer choice. Whether it performs better than freeware or commercial apps is up to you.